Children’s day is an event which is celebrated all over India, on 14th November and is referred to as “Bal Diwas” in Hindi. 14th November is the birth date of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of Independent India. It is believed that there are two reasons behind choosing 14th November, the birth anniversary of Pandit Nehru as the date for celebrating Children’s Day in India. The prime reason was to honour Pandit Nehru’s love for children. After becoming the Prime Minister of independent India, he showed keen interest towards the development and welfare of children. Due to his passion for the work related to children, he became quite popular amongst children and his little admirers called him “Chacha Nehru”. Pandit Nehru was extremely fond of children, so, he used to spend his leisurely hours in playing with children and telling them stories. The other reason was because Pandit Nehru is considered to be a special child of our country, for becoming the first Prime Minister of Independent India. Therefore, as a tribute to this great man and his love for children, his birthday is celebrated all over India as Children’s Day.
In India, this day is marked with a number of festivities across all parts of the country. On this day, schools organize different cultural programmes for students wherein they present singing and dance performances. Besides this, numerous activities and competitions are also held for students to participate, the most common of them being story telling, fancy dress, drawing and painting, speeches, debates and extempore. Also, to motivate the students, the winners are highly awarded.
How to celebrate Children’s Day?
Since this day is especially dedicated to children, all possible efforts are made to let them feel special. So, besides the celebrations at schools, there are interesting ways to celebrate Children’s Day at home. Since Children’s Day is just round the corner, so plan out something special and make this day unforgettable for the children. Given below are some ways:
- Let your children dress-up in new casual clothes of their choice.
- Treat them with their favourite food and sweets they like.
- Present them with gifts, like their favourite game, books or may be a dress.
- Take them out for a picnic or a movie of their choice.
- You may also arrange a party at home and invite your children’s friends to join.
- Take this day as an opportunity to actually help the needy and the destitute children. Indulge in charitable activities on this day. Involve your children in donating clothes, books etc. to make the day special for them as well.
Children’s Day is all about showering the love, care and affection on children and making them feel special. So, use the above tips to celebrate Children’s Day with fun and fervor.