National Technology Day
National Technology Day is celebrated all over India on May 11th every year, with great zeal and enthusiasm. The day is celebrated to commemorate India’s three major milestones in the field of science & technology. These include the nuclear bomb tests conducted at Pokhran in Rajasthan, the test firing of the indigenously developed “Trishul” missile and the test flight of the indigenous aircraft “Hansa-3”. All the three events occurred on the same day i.e. May 11th 1998. Since then, May 11th is celebrated as National Technology Day all over India by scientific, industrial and educational institutions, with pomp and gaiety.
History of National Technology Day
A series of five controlled nuclear bomb tests were conducted at Pokhran test range in Rajasthan on May 11th and 13th, 1998. The first three out of the five nuclear tests were conducted on May 11th, 1998, when the three nuclear devices were detonated simultaneously. However, this triggered earthquake in the nearby seismic stations, registering 5.3 on Richter scale. So, the next two tests were postponed to May 13th, which was also conducted successfully. As a result, May 11th, 1998 was officially signed as the National Technology Day by the then Prime Minister of India.
National Technology Day Celebrations
Several events are organised by scientific and educational institutions to mark the occasion. On this day, various educational institutions including schools and engineering colleges organise lectures, quizzes, presentations and interactive sessions etc. on different aspects of science & technology, to motivate the young minds to adopt the field as their career.
National Technology Day is a wonderful opportunity to praise the use of science and technology in everyday life. So, celebrate the day with your child at home in the following ways:
- Explain to your child about the importance of science & technology in our daily lives. For instance, tell her how different home appliances such as refrigerator, air conditioner, washing machine, mixer grinder etc. have become inherent part of our lives.
- Make a list of the famous Indian scientists and their inventions/discoveries and discuss their achievements, with your child.
- Along with your child, read monthly science magazines to get updated on the latest developments in science & technology and India’s contribution in it.
- Conduct a Science Quiz and encourage your child and her friends to participate in it. You may include questions based on the recent achievements of India in the field of science & technology. Announce the winners of the quiz and present them with attractive prizes.
- Encourage your child to start a science project at home by using things that are easily available in and around the house. You may also shop with her for the items needed for the project and help her to complete it.
- Take your child to the nearest Planetarium or science museum, on the day. During the visit, encourage your child to take notes about the information on the inventions/discoveries, being exhibited at the place.
This way, celebrate National Technology Day with your child at home and motivate her to develop more interest in science subject.