Requirements for Opening a School
Minimum Requirements for a Nursery-Class 12th School (Day School)
• In metropolitan cities with a population exceeding 25 Lakhs, the land should not be less than 1 acre with adequate building and there must be an arrangement with other institution/organization for imparting physical & health education and conducting games in their grounds.
• The minimum land area required for the schools in NCR, Delhi is 4000 sq. mts.
• In hilly areas, the land should not be less than one acre. The norms as prescribed by the Planning Commission shall be applicable for determining the eligibility in hilly areas.
• In all other places, the school must possess at least about two acres of land and a building constructed on a part of the land and proper playgrounds on the remaining land. In case of lease, it will be acceptable only if it is for a minimum period of 30 years and in favour of the Society/School by a registered deed.
Land Area for Residential School
• The school must possess about 20 acres of land. This type of school will have the CBSE system and may/may not offer the IB (International Baccalaureate) system. These schools will be truly global in all approaches and may be setup in India or Abroad
Apart from the land, you need to invest on the construction, the cost of which may be from Rs 700 per sq ft onwards (including furniture and interiors), depending on the fee that is being targeted in your school. You should also be able to secure bank funding for a majority of this amount. Banks may also give a one-year moratorium, which will help you settle down the school. Within a year, you will be able to reach a stage where you can start paying the bank installments, from the money you get from fee collection. Hence, to start a school, you need the required land and some working capital too.