NCERT – Overview
NCERT is a premier education development organisation in India. NCERT or National Council of Education Research and Training, is a government institution and is directly accountable to the central government. It was established in year 1961 to advise the central government and state governments on key education policies. The scope and functions of NCERT, as of now, have diversified and it now looks at many aspects relating to the research and development of education in India. NCERT is popularly known to develop the textbooks for school children. These textbooks are recommended by the state education departments and therefore students often find textbooks by NCERT. The council is also responsible for carrying a number of academic programmes.
NCERT and its Constituent Units In the regulations document of NCERT, is provided the full meaning and scope of constituent units. The constituent units of NCERT, is a collective term used for NIE (National Institute of Education) and other regional institutes. The regional institutes of NCERT are CIET New Delhi (Central Institute of Education Technology), PSSCIVE Bhopal (Pandit Sunderlal Sharma Central Institute of Vocational Education), RIE Bhopal, RIE Ajmer, RIE Bhubaneshwar, RIE Mysore, RIE Shillong (Regional Institute of Education).
NCERT Committees NCERT is governed by five committees – Governing Council, Executive Committee, Finance Committee, Establishment Committee and Advisory Committee. Besides the governing committees there are many other committees that take care of certain specific activities.
NCERT – Main Activities and Programmes NCERT is one of the apex research and development organisations in the education field in India. The organisation is primarily involved in activities pertaining to research, development, training, Publication and information dissemination and student exchange programmes. The most important programmes of NCERT include the preparation of NCFs (National Curriculum Frameworks, 1988, 2000, 2005) and their implementation, Universalisation of Elementary Education, Vocational Education, Education Technology, Women Studies, Development of textbooks, Teacher Education Programmes, Guidance and Counselling, curriculum development and development of teaching methods, Childhood Education, Education Programmes for disadvantaged sections of society, etc.
Departments of NCERT Various departments of NCERT are as:
• Department of Elementary Education (DEE)
• Department of Languages (DoL)
• Department of Teacher Education and Extension (DTEE)
• Department of Educational Surveys and Data Processing (DES&DP)
• Department of Education in Science and Mathematics (DESM)
• Department of Educational Research and Policy Perspectives (DERPP)
• Department of Education in Arts and Aesthetics (DEAA)
• Department of Education in Social Sciences and Humanities (DESSH)
• Department of Educational Psychology and Foundations of Education (DEPFE)
• Department of Education of Groups with Special Needs (DEGSN)
• Department of Computer Education and Technological Aids (DCETA)
• Publication Department (PD)
• Department of Women's Studies (DWS) Over the years NCERT has been evolved into a prime education research and training institution. It has also helped the government in foreign representations.