NCTE, National Council for Teacher Education, Teacher Education Programme
In order to promote the teacher education and ensure maintenance of standards, the Indian government devised a statutory council by the name National Council for Teacher Education. Previously an advisory body, National Council for Teacher Education came into existence in accordance with National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993.
Several institutions have courses and training specially designed to provide education programmes to the teachers. These programmes are meant to help the teachers increase their competencies and skill in educating the students.
Only selected institutions can provide teacher education programmes as per the National Council for Teacher Education. These institutes have to seek the approval of the council and have to submit the details of course as well as the facility where the programme will be conducted.
Norms and Standards
As was said earlier also, NCTE is also a regulatory body and checks against the substandard teaching practices in the institutions. One of the primary functions of the council is to conform the teaching resource to the norms and standards as have been formulated by the council.
NCTE has its headquarters in the capital city of India, New Delhi. Regional committees further aid the headquarters. A total of four committees operate in Bangalore, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar and Jaipur.
Recognized Teacher Programmes by National Council for Teacher Education
- The recognized teacher education programmes include:
- Pre-School Teacher Education Programme leading to Certificate in Education (C.Ed)
- Elementary Teacher Education Programme leading to Diploma in Education (D.Ed)
- Bachelor of Elementary Teacher Education Programme leading to Bachelor in Elementary Education (B.El.Ed)
- Secondary Teacher Education Programme leading to Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Degree
- Master of education Programme leading to Master of Education (M.Ed) Degree
Every year thousands of aspiring teachers join for the courses and teacher training programmes. For students who have career plans in this direction it is essential to know about such regulating bodies and norms and standards.