ATAL BIHARI VAJPAYEE
Born On: 25th December, 1924
Known For: Politician
- He was the only Non-Congress Prime Minister of India, who served a full term.
- He is the only Parliamentarian to have been elected from four different states at four different times.
- He was the first Prime Minister of India to have delivered a speech in Hindi at the United Nations.
- He was the first President of the Political Party BJP.
- He and his father, together, pursued their Law Degree from DAV College, Kanpur.
- He has been an editor of two monthly publications – ‘Rashtradharma’ and ‘Panchjanya’ and two news dailies – ‘Swadesh’ and ‘Veer Arjun’.
- Dr. Manmohan Singh often called him as the ‘Bhishma Pitamah’ of Indian Politics.
- He is affectionately called ‘Baap Ji’ by his close friends and family.
- He wanted to become a journalist and mentioned in an interview, that he entered politics, by mistake.
- Former Prime Minister, Jawahar Lal Nehru predicted that Atal Bihari Vajpayee will one day become the Prime Minister of India.
PANDIT MADAN MOHAN MALVIYA
Born On: 25th December, 1861
Known For: Politician
- He popularized the phrase ‘Satyamev Jayate’ meaning ‘truth alone triumphs’.
- He was a prolific journalist and founded the now discontinued English newspaper ‘The Leader’, one Hindi monthly called ‘Maryada’ and a Hindi weekly titled ‘Abhyudaya’.
- He was the founder of the Benaras Hindu University, which he established in 1916.
- He founded the political party Akhil Bhartiya Hindu Mahasabha in 1906 to oppose the divide and rule policy of the British Government.
- He made sincere efforts for the entry of Dalits into any Hindu temple.
Born On: 25th December, 1984
Known For: Cricketer
- He became the first Englishman to score seven centuries in Test matches before turning 23.
- He became the second youngest batsman to cross the 5000-run mark in Tests, at the age of 26.
- He became the youngest player ever to play 100 Test matches.
- He has scored five successive centuries as a captain – another record in his name.
- He was a choirboy in his youth.
Born on: 11th December, 1935
Known For: Residing President of India
- Growing up in Birbhum, in rural Bengal, Pranabda was better known by his nickname – Poltu
- He began his career as a clerk in the office of the Deputy Assistant-General in Kolkata. He has also worked as a teacher in a Birbhum College and as a journalist for Desher Dak, a Bengali publication
- The 79-year old Mr. Mukherjee maintains a dairy and manages to write a page every day
- In his political career of over four decades, Mr. Mukherjee has served as minister in every Congress government since 1971
- He is a deeply religious man. He can recite Sanskrit Shlokas and “Chandi Path” from memory
- Euromoney magazine rated Mr. Mukherjee as the best Finance Minister of the World according to a survey in 1984
- He doesn’t speak fluent Hindi and has said that it is one of the reasons why he cannot become the Prime Minister
- Mr. Mukherjee is one of the handful Indian Politicians who have held the three key ministries of finance, defense and external affairs
- He is the only finance minister to have presented Budgets in the pre-liberalisation and post-liberalisation era
- As a child, Pranabda simply couldn’t resist chocolates
Born on: 11th December, 1969
Known For: Chess Player
- He was the only sportsperson to have been invited for the dinner hosted by the Indian Prime Minister Mr. Manmohan Singh for US President Barack Obama in 2010 .
- He started playing chess when he was 6
- He was the undisputed World Chess Champion from 2007-2013
- He was the number one player in the world for a total of 15 months.
- In 1984, at the age of 15, Anand became the youngest Indian to win the title of International Master.
Born on: 11th December, 1922
Known For: Actor
- His real name is Mohammad Yusuf Khan.
- He was awarded the highest Civilian award by Pakistan, “Nishan-e-Imtiaz” in 1998
- His ancestral home in Peshawar is getting turned into a National Heritage and will be preserved by the Pakistan Government
- Before entering the film industry, Dilip Kumar was a fruit vendor in Pune
- He is Bollywood’s first superstar who hails from Pakistan
- He was the first person to receive the Filmfare Best Actor Award
- He was a member of Parliament from 2000-2006
- He has won the most awards as the Best Actor with 8 awards spanning over 3 decades.
Born on: 10th December, 1878
Known For: Political Activist
- He was informally called Rajaji. During his lifetime, he also acquired the nickname ‘Mango of Salem’ .
- He was the last Governor-General of India and the only Indian National ever to hold the office
- He was one of the first recipients of the Bharat Ratna Award
- He served as a leader of the Indian National Congress but later resigned from the INC and founded the Swatantra Party, which stood against the Congress in 1962, 1967 and 1972 elections.
- He devised the proposal called as the CR Formula by the press to recognize the demand for Pakistan and initiate talks between the Congress and All India Muslim League.