Norms for International School Affiliation
A lot of International schools have entered the Indian education sector. Such schools have captured the education market in the major cities of the country, namely, New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu. So, investing in a school is a lucrative and profitable venture. To start an International school in India, one needs to follow a step-wise procedure. Moreover, the most important step is to gain affiliation from a recognized board of education. In India, there are two boards of education that grant affiliation to International schools, namely, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO). Though the aim of both these education boards is directed towards the same mission of imparting education but they have different ways of delivering it.
Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is the most popular and preferred board of education which provides education to a number of schools in India and Abroad. It is the apex board of education that conducts AISSE (All India Secondary School Examination) for class 10th and AISSCE (All India Senior School Certificate Examination) for class 12th.
Therefore, to seek affiliation from CBSE, the school must fulfill the following essential requirements:
- The school must be built on a minimum land area of about 2 acres, with school building on one part and a playground on the other.
- The classrooms must be built in a minimum area of about 500 sq. ft.
- The school must have well equipped Math, Computer and Science labs. Apart from this, proper provisions must be made for separate Physics, Chemistry & Biology labs.
- The school must pay salaries and deliver allowances to its staff in accordance with the pay scale prescribed by the Government of India.
- The school must admit students without making any discrimination on the basis of caste, creed and colour.
- Proper provisions must be made for the safety, sanitation and safe drinking water.
- The school must implement the education system based on Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation (CCE) up to 8th standard. Also, provisions must be made with respect to the maintenance of the academic records.
- The school must have a medical room with basic equipments and medicines to safeguard the health of students and staff.
Another board of education is International Baccalaureate (IB). It is a non-profit organisation that offers international certifications to the schools. The International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) offers three different programs, namely, – PYP (Primary Years Programme) for kindergarten to class 5th, MYP (Middle Years Programme) for 6th to 10th class and DP (Diploma Programme) for higher classes.
- A new school applying for affiliation should have been in existence for minimum 3 years.
- The school must be registered as a legal entity and must have the required permissions & licenses from the concerned authorities which will certify that the school is apt to provide educational services.
- In case the school is divided into multiple campuses, they must be regarded as one unit and only one person must be responsible for the educational leadership in all the campuses.
- The school should necessarily include one of the IB working languages (English, Spanish or French) in its curriculum.
- The school must appoint qualified staff which will be responsible to conduct the programme.
- The school must make provisions for specialized equipment & resources to support the implementation of programme.
- The school must maintain proper academic records of the students.
Therefore, you can seek affiliation from any of these boards of education. However, as compared to IBO, CBSE is a much preferred board of education and offers comparatively easy curriculum. So, to get your school listed amongst the best and reputed school, it is advisable to seek affiliation from any of these education boards. SHEMFORD Futuristic Schools is one of the nation’s leading 10+2 school chain spread across India and Abroad. SHEMFORD is a CBSE school with a reputed brand name in the education sector. So, if you want to get associated to this renowned chain of schools, complete a few formalities and fill the Franchise Application Form given Here.