The private, non-governmental institution, the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) conducts three types of examinations, one of which is the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE), exams for class 10. The governing body for ICSE was established by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate in 1958.
The ICSE board provides examinations of general education through medium of English and the standard of examination is a course of 10 years duration, i.e. classes I to X.
In case you are seeking affiliation from the ICSE board, you can opt for either provisional or permanent affiliation as per your requirements. However, your school needs to fulfill certain conditions as per the guidelines of the council, in order to get the affiliation.
Conditions to get provisional affiliation are:
- The school must obtain a No-Objection Certificate (NOC) from the State Government.
- The governing body of the school must be registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act,1860 to prove its non-profit motive.
- The medium of instruction in your school must be English as ICSE grants affiliation only to the English medium schools.
- The land area for senior secondary schools must not be less than 4,000 sq.mt. and for secondary schools it should be approximately 2,000 sq.mt., with a suitable building constructed on one part of the land and a proper playground on the remaining part.
- The school must have a well-equipped library with a minimum of 2,500 books.
- There must be separate labs for Physics, Chemistry and Biology, each equipped with all the necessary apparatus & equipment.
- The school must appoint the teachers in accordance with the minimum qualifications laid down by the council.
- The pay scale and other allowances must not be less than those of other schools in the state and employees must be entitled to other benefits like provident fund, medical, gratuity etc.
- The fee charged by the school should be equivalent to the facilities provided by the school.
- The schools must not accept donations or capitation fees for the purpose of admissions of students.
- The school must maintain a proper record of the attendance of the students and this record must be signed by the principal.
Conditions to get permanent affiliation are:
- The school must successfully fulfill all the undertakings given to council at the time of provisional affiliation.
- The school must be ready for a special inspection arranged by the chief executive, who will further make a recommendation for the permanent affiliation to the executive committee of the council.
Only after the approval of the executive committee, you will be granted permanent affiliation by the chief executive.
So, these are certain conditions that the school needs to fulfill to be able to get the affiliation from the board. Affiliation not only provides quality education for your school but also defines the standard of education in India.
However, merely getting ICSE affiliation is not enough to run a school. To become the most preferred school in the society, you need to maintain the quality of education by continuously exploring the resources of teaching methods and learning environment.
We, at SHEMFORD have been successful in upgrading the education standards, not just in India but also abroad. SHEMFORD – country’s leading Senior Secondary Chain of Schools is affiliated with ICSE board. So, it is advised to go for the SHEMFORD franchise instead of opening your own school.